Then and Now
Barty Wyatt House
Classic Vermillion Street Home Demolished
Phyllis Mays Keatley (Photos), Linda Hill Mann (Narrative)
The house, formerly located at 404 Vermillion Street, was likely built by James Ward Robinette, who was born in Kimberling, Bland County, Virginia, in 1862. He married Susan Jane Hoge (1863–1921) in 1883, and together they had eight children—two sons and six daughters.
James was a building contractor who constructed and owned several homes in Athens. He built the original section of this house prior to 1910, and he and his family resided there. After Susan’s death, James married Louise “Lura” Alberta Stafford (1863–1939).
James passed away in October 1937. In his will, he stipulated that Lura could live in the house for the remainder of her life if she wished. If she chose not to, the house was to be rented, and Lura would receive a monthly stipend from the rental income. Upon her death, the property was to be sold, with the proceeds divided among his children.
Around 1945, the house was purchased by Barton “Barty” Wyatt, who began renting rooms to students from Concord College (now Concord University).
According to tax records, Barty purchased the house in 1945, and again in 1964 and 1968, with various owners listed in the intervening years.
Barton “Barty” Wyatt (1880–1973) was born in Rock View, Wyoming County, West Virginia. He married Lake Erie Cook (1885–1918) in 1905. After her death, he married Minnie Walker (1889–1922) in 1919. He came from a large family with at least 14 siblings.
Barty was an educator and a historian of Mercer and Wyoming Counties. He was considered one of the most independent and public-spirited citizens in the region. He was a product of the rural community at the headwaters of Rich Creek and Wolf Creek, on a broad bench of Flat Top Mountain known as “Nubbins Ridge,” so named because corn grown there would only reach the size of nubbins.
An early land developer, Barty moved frequently throughout Mercer and Wyoming Counties during his teaching career. He served as the first principal of both Mullins and Pineville High Schools and taught at several other schools, including Concord College. (Source: A New River Heritage, Volume IV, by William Sanders.)
Following Barty Wyatt’s tenure, the house passed through several owners. The original section of the home, built before 1910, encompassed 4,564 square feet. An additional 1,152 square feet were added in 1960. Over the years, the house served as a family residence, a rental property, and a boarding house for students.
The house was demolished on May 15, 2025.








